Since 1982, volunteers have supported the Patrick Henry Memorial Foundation in achieving its mission to preserve and interpret the history of Red Hill. If you are passionate about history and the 18th century, join us!
- Must be 13 years or older.
- Have a love of learning and history.
Benefits of being a Red Hill volunteer
- Learn about Red Hill, Patrick Henry, Black history, and life in the late 18th century
- Apply the knowledge, skills, and abilities you have developed to enhance and have an impact on families, youth, and schools who visit.
- Dress in period attire (if desired) to interact with and entertain visitors to Red Hill.
- Meet people with common interests.
- Help people from diverse backgrounds by introducing them to the many real and virtual opportunities and experiences available on the estate.
- Earn a discount for use at the Red Hill Gift Shop.
- Know that you make a difference!
Patrick Henry Auxiliary
The Patrick Henry Auxiliary is a membership-based volunteer organization, serving as tour guides and living historians for public programs. Their mission is to support the Foundation in its endeavor to promote the philosophy and contributions of Patrick Henry and “to help raise funds to achieve self-supporting, non-federally funded status for the Patrick Henry National Memorial at Red Hill, dedicated to the memory and ideals of Patrick Henry.”
An essential element of Red Hill programs, the volunteer members of the Auxiliary support the mission of the foundation in a variety of ways. Learn more by clicking below!
Archaeology & Archaeology Lab
Volunteer opportunities are open to anyone interested in participating in archaeology. From summer to fall, volunteers will assist our archaeologists with excavating a site, while in the winter and spring, they will help with artifact processing in the lab. All ages are welcome, no experience required. Whether you come help for a single day or volunteer on a weekly basis, you’ll have the chance to engage hands-on with history and help uncover more of Red Hill’s story.
Click below to learn more and sign up!
Library & Artifact Collections
The Foundation boasts the largest collection of Patrick Henry artifacts in the world, however, our museum collection encompasses so much more! With over 5,000 artifacts and twelve historic structures, there is always work to be done.
Collections volunteers will work with the curator to assist with:
- Collection storage inventory
- Artifact research and processing
- Maintenance of artifacts on display
- Imputing data into the collection management system
- Photographing artifacts
Office & Administration
Volunteers interested in the day-to-day operations of a non-profit are encouraged to apply!
- Computer data entry
- Mailing projects
- Filing and copying
- Donor calls
- Office tasks concerning education, marketing, and scheduling
With fourteen buildings and over 1,000 acres to care for, Red Hill is always in need of volunteers who aren’t afraid to work with their hands. Maintenance volunteers can assist with:
- Building maintenance (plumbing, electrical, carpentry, painting)
- Grounds maintenance (mowing, pruning, mulching, walking trail clearing)
- Site improvements (erosion control, new plantings, walking path maintenance)
Are you passionate about photography and photo editing? Become a volunteer photographer! We have a range of opportunities that cater to all interests:
- General photography of visitors and staff for advertising purposes
- Landscape and architectural photography
- Photography during special events and public programs
- Photography of collections artifacts
- Photography of archaeological artifacts for processing