Living History Days
Looking for a hands-on way to learn about colonial life and the Founding Fathers? Our Living History Days are a great way for kids of all ages to get a glimpse of what life was like for Patrick Henry in a way that will create lasting memories. Bring the pages of your textbook to life and join us with your class, homeschool group, or other organization!
There are several times throughout the year when Living History is offered for children. Each Fall Red Hill hosts a special series of “Homeschool Days” for groups or individuals who homeschool their children. In the Spring or Fall, we can also work with you or your school to arrange for Living History during your class tour. Living History Days are always scheduled at least two weeks in advance, so reach out to us with a few potential dates that suit your class. During peak season (March-May, September-November), dates fill quickly!
Living History Days are staffed by the wonderful volunteers of the Patrick Henry Auxiliary. These volunteers don colonial costumes and act as docents and teachers for a rotating variety of different learning stations. Depending on which of our docents is participating on the day you attend, there will be a different set of Living History stations. Some of the stations that you might experience during Living History Days include:
- Hearth Cooking—see how cooking was done over a fire in Henry’s day, before microwaves or even electricity!
- Flax to Fiber—learn about the process of taking natural fibers and turning them into fabric for clothes and other uses.
- Colonial Medicine—find out what a colonial doctor might have given you for a fever or a broken arm and see how much medicine has changed since Henry’s time.
- Blacksmithing—experience how a blacksmith’s forge worked, complete with the fire, bellows, anvil, and hard work used back in the day!
- Pottery—get your hands dirty with the pottery wheel, which would have been used to create the plates and bowls used in the Henry household.
- …And more!
To get in touch with us about bringing your group for Living History Days at Red Hill please call us at (434) 376-2044, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to making your learning experience memorable and fun!