The Patrick Henry Memorial Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation devoted to education and historic preservation. Established in 1944, the Foundation promotes educational and research programs about the life, character, times, philosophy, and legacy of Patrick Henry. As part of that mission, the Foundation maintains and interprets Red Hill, Patrick Henry’s last home and burial place, as a historic site and museum.
The Patrick Henry Memorial Foundation was founded to care for Red Hill and establish it as a National Memorial to Patrick Henry. After acquiring Red Hill from Mrs. Lucy Gray Henry Harrison, a great-granddaughter of Patrick Henry and the final descendant to live on the estate, the Foundation began the process of restoring the property and constructing a museum to house what is now the largest collection of Patrick Henry-related artifacts in the country.
In 1986 Red Hill was recognized by an Act of Congress as the official National Memorial to Patrick Henry.
Despite being an affiliated area of the National Park Service, Red Hill does not receive any federal funding to aid in its preservation or educational work. The Foundation relies on grants and donations from patriots committed to the legacy of Patrick Henry, Voice of the Revolution.
Charitable donations to the Patrick Henry Memorial Foundation are tax-deductible in conformity to the law. A copy of the Foundation’s most recent financial statement is available from the State Division of Consumer Affairs, P. O. Box 1163, Richmond, Virginia 23209.
Our Board of Trustees
- Mr. Dexter Gilliam, Chair
- Ms. Jean Elliott, Vice Chair
- Mr. Ward Burton
- Mr. Walter Cart
- Mr. Mark Holman
- Mr. Sherman A. LaPrade
- Mr. Michael J. Madden
- Ms. Dagen McDowell
- Ms. Elsie Rose
- Dr. Jack Schaffer
- Dr. Robert M. Sexton
- Mr. Gene Smith
- Mrs. Eugene B. Casey
- The Honorable James E. Edmunds II
- The Honorable Frank M. Ruff, Jr.