Patrick Henry’s Red Hill is seeking a motivated intern for Summer 2021 to research the ongoing Quarter Place Project.
· Assist staff members in preserving the African American cemetery adjacent to Red Hill (called Quarter Place)
· Research and help create a database of African American genealogy for those who were enslaved and free at Red Hill from 1750-1945
· Help to create an enslaved person tour for children and adults
· Research artifacts relevant to slavery
· Produce publishable materials to be used in Red Hill’s marketing plan including quarterly newsletters and monthly e-newsletters
· Work closely with Red Hill staff to interpret the Quarter Place trail including a reconstructed cabin, tobacco barn, ordering pit, cabin foundations, and cemetery.
Requirements of Applicant
· 3.0 or above cumulative GPA
· Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in history, museum studies, public history, or similar fields.
· Effective written and verbal communication skills
· High attention to detail
· Ability to work effectively with a team
· Comfortable in front of large audiences of both children and adults
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
· Some familiarity with PastPerfect is preferred, but not required of applicants
· The summer internship will run the duration of the semester (10-16 weeks).
· In order to fulfill collegiate requirements, Red Hill does partner with students to complete internships as part of course credit, as long as the student lets the staff know in advance what paperwork will be required to complete.
· Some project types can be completed remotely as long as the student logs their hours and sends a report on their progress.
· It is expected that applicants are available to work on-site at Red Hill Monday-Friday, 9am-4:30pm.
· Depending on the duration of the internship, the use of free, on-site accommodations may be available. Students will be required to sign an agreement about the use and maintenance of the facility in advance.
· This internship has a $1,000 stipend.
How to Apply
· Students may choose to send references, CV (if available), a lesson plan or curriculum sample, or other relevant documentation as well.
· Red Hill will reach out to the student to set up a phone/Zoom or in-person interview.
· If accepted, the student will be asked to visit Red Hill prior to the first day of their internship to meet the staff.
Deadline for Applying
· Summer 2021 Internships: April 2 at 11:59pm.